Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Marathons of Life

On January 9, I ran the Disney ½ marathon in Orlando. Well, ‘run’ may be a loose term, I walked, but I walked fast enough to complete the race in the required time, crossing the finish line, greeted by a wonderful volunteer holding the coveted Donald Duck medal. It was my third marathon.

I started walk/running in 1984, just after the word Duchenne entered my vocabulary. I was running for something, my own private marathon. I walked for my sons. I wanted to take steps for them, wanted to make up for the steps they would not take and wanted to take steps for others as well. I didn’t calculate how many steps that might take, but I knew that after taking one step, I would be able to continue the momentum.

And now, my private marathons are public, are part of something much larger than myself, something that belongs to all of us. I’m a believer.

55,000 people were running those races in Disney. 55,000 running for something or someone they care about, something or someone they are committed to. 55,000 people committed to succeed.

There is another marathon, but this time, it does not involve running. This uses no energy and with one single click on the computer, will help change the world for 250,000 boys with Duchenne and a few girls and millions of people who love them.

PPMD recently was announced as a finalist in the Chase Community Giving challenge on Facebook. Over 500,000 organizations competed for 100 finalist slots and a $25,000 prize. You voted, and we made it! Now these 100 organizations will compete for five $100,000 prizes and one grand prize of $1 million.

So we need you to vote. And we need you to tell everyone you know on Facebook to vote. And we need you to get everyone who is not on Facebook, to join Facebook, and then vote. The power your one vote could have is incredible. That vote could mean $1 million for Duchenne research. That vote could buy us time.

1 vote. 1 minute. $1 million for Duchenne research.

And if you have 5 minutes we have a list of super easy, super effective ways you can reach as many people on Facebook and have them cast their vote for PPMD. We need all the support on Facebook we can get. Every vote counts!

I am not a seasoned athlete, but I am always able to finish because of the energy of those around me. That energy, YOUR energy, will help us win $1 million to be used in the fight to end Duchenne.

I hope you'll vote today. No training required.



No comments: