Friday, December 11, 2009

A moment for thanks

We spend most of our lives in running shoes. This past year in particular, there were added worries, and it felt like we had to run stronger and faster, often without taking a moment to catch our breath.

On Thanksgiving, it is important to loosen those laces, put the shoes in a corner, and take a moment to bow our heads and give thanks.

I am thankful…
•…for amazing advances in research. Our End Duchenne Grant Award Program invested almost $1 million in research, leveraging more than $18 million from the NIH. We hope to add more clinical trial candidates for promising compounds in the next six months.
•…that "Care Considerations in Duchenne" will be published in the January and February issues of Lancet which defines optimal care for Duchenne. It will empower physicians and parents and open the door for children worldwide to access optimal care.
•…that collaborations have expanded and that major pharmaceutical companies have joined our fight to End Duchenne.
•…to the Duchenne community, for your relentless efforts to have the voices of our sons heard.
•…for the continued "can do" spirit of every family, clinician, and researcher, and the partnerships with organizations that are working together for the benefit of so many young men with Duchenne.
While I always have my running shoes on for Duchenne, this year I found myself in another race. My husband Tom was diagnosed with colon cancer.

Like the word Duchenne, the word cancer entered our home uninvited. After losing Chris and Patrick, we sort of figured that we had a "get out of jail free" card for the rest of our lives. It was devastating, but we found a world of support and prayers from family, friends, and this wonderful, supportive community. And I'm happy to say that Tom is in treatment and doing well.

Although I do not say it nearly often enough, I am most grateful for the support of family and friends. In my life, you make all the difference in the world.

Please tell me what you're thankful for. Post your thoughts below. Because you are a part of the PPMD family, we would like to share in your challenges and celebrations.

Happy Thanksgiving. And again, I can't thank you all enough for the amazing support you've shown all year long.

No comments: